The project concerned the rehabilitation and upgrading of the mountainous National Road SS118 Corleonese Agrigentina to comply with the Italian Design Standard for Roads and Interchange, including the design of several intersections.
Sering carried out the Preliminary design of the whole project and the Detailed design of Lot 3 from km 18+700 to km 24+650.
The works have been designed to achieve the following objectives:
- minimization of investment costs through the use, where possible, the existing infrastructure;
- maximization of the “permeability” of the new infrastructure with respect to the existing local road network and to private ownership;
- Improved possible service levels by raising design speed of the road axis;
- Improved vertical and horizontal alignment
Lot 3, about 5.9 km long, includes:
- trunks on the existing carriageway for a whole length of about 3.4 km
- Scalilli Viaduct 140 m long with steel–concrete structure, 40 m length each span,
- box underpasses
- sheet-pile walls
- two intersections
- a cycling route
An accurate study was carried out between sections 231-236, where the road runs halfway through a landslide in debris. Site investigations and the geological survey highligthed that the instability extends roughly to section 262, affecting the site of Scalilli Viaduct for which the appropriate deep foundations and protection works were designed for piers and shoulders.
Services provided by Sering
- Identification of alternative layouts
- Geological, geomorphological and hydro-geological studies
- Traffic study
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Detailed design